The Grafter DSL
At the heart of Grafter is a Domain Specific Langauge (DSL) which allows the specification of transformation pipelines that convert tabular data into either more tabular data or linked data graphs.
The DSL is designed to support a good separation of concerns, and acknowledges the reality that even within a single dataset many people with different skills and responsibilities may be involved.
The Grafter Vision
Grafter has been designed to form the basis of a suite of tools for creating robust ETL processes, for both tabular and graph data.
These tools are concerned not only with transformation, but also data cleaning, and robust loading with excellent facilities for error handling and reporting.
Implemented in Clojure, Grafter’s core is targeted at software developers, however we are planning on building graphical tools targeted at spreadsheet users to allow non-programmers to develop robust, repeatable transformations. Our vision is to help enable a seamless collaboration between a broad spectrum of users, enabling division of labour between transformations built by spreadsheet users and developers.
Additionally we are developing RESTFUL service wrappers for data loading that allow transformations to be packaged as import services.
The Grafter Roadmap
Grafter is still in the early stages, but is already being used to develop large, commercial grade ETL processes for large quantities of government data.
In spite of this Grafter’s DSL itself is under rapid development and is expected to undergo radical changes in the run up to v1.0.0.
In particular we plan on investigating and potentially formalising the following features, either in Grafter’s core or in external libraries in coming releases:
- 1st class error handling features
- Decomplecting the selection of data from the application of transformation
- DSL redesign to ensure full coverage of typical ETL operations
- Ontology loading
- Review to ensure laziness in all operations that can support it, and providing explicit guarantees of laziness
- Database adapters for reading/writing to SQL
- Adapters for non RDF, Graph Databases, such as Datomic and neo4j
- Integration with core.matrix
- Transducer and core.async support
- Creating a library of common, composable transformation functions
Previous Grafter Versions
Earlier releases of Grafter should still be left available in the public clojars repositories, and we hope to maintain their online API documentation.